Saturday, August 9, 2008

I'm addicted

I love to fly. I love to be in a plane. There is nothing like it in the world and it's really amazing to witness the miracle of flight each time it happens.
I love the huge force of the engines as they try to push a multi ton chuck of metal up into the air. I love when the wheels first leave the ground and the bumpy ride becomes wonderfully smooth. I love the "clunk" as the wheels are tucked away inside the plane.
I love watching the cities I love, either San Diego or Carlsbad fade away. I love it even more when I fly in and see them again.
I love going through the clouds. I thrill at the idea of not seeing anything and knowing that the pilot can't either. I'm so thankful for the people in the towers and the instruments that make flying blind possible. I love getting above the clouds on an overcast day and being blinded by the brilliant white of the fluffy tops of the clouds. I'm amazed at their beauty each time it happens.
I love flying during the day and seeing quaint homes and green baseball diamonds or even better, patchwork quilts of farmed fields. I love flying at night even better and seeing large stretches of city lights. Even LA is glorious at night. I love flying by the coast and seeing the multitude of lights abruptly end in midnight blackness of the ocean.
I love watching lightning from a plane. A horrible Midwest thunder storm is the most beautiful sight I've even seen- when I'm not in it- and safely flying around it.
I get depressed when the person next to me closes the blind so I can't see out. Why would anyone choose an aisle seat. Access to the bathroom is nothing in comparison to watching miles and miles of earth and water float underneath.
Missing flights, running through airports, waiting for hours, not knowing if I'm going to make it home today or tomorrow- all that is worth it for that time in the airplane. I'm addicted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home